“Google Play Services keeps stopping” is this the issue you were looking for? If yes then here are the top methods that you can use to fix this issue. You might have noticed this error while opening or updating the Google Play Store app. Google Play Store is the official app from Google for downloading other applications on your Android device.
As mentioned, sometimes while opening or updating the Google Play Store app, an error flashes saying “Unfortunately Google Play Services has stopped“. This error has now become very common in many android devices. In this article, several simple methods are mentioned that you can use to fix this issue.
What is Google Play Services
Google Play Services is one of the most common background services on every Android device. It is one of the primary API packages released by Google for Android devices.
Google Play Services are very important for your android device. Also, it’s very important for the security of your android device. Google Play Services brings two major security features, SafetyNet and Verify Apps. As the name suggests, SafetyNet checks and the security of the device with the Google security requirements for Android, and keeps your device safe from malware attacks. And, Verify Apps checks for malicious codes when you install any app from Google Play Store or from any other software. So, Google Play Services is very important for any Android device.
Fix Google Play Services Keeps Stopping
Mentioned below are the simple steps that you should use to fix google play services keeps stopping or google play services keeps crashing. The steps mentioned below are simple but very important to fix this issue.
Sometimes, the same error occurs for Google Play Store saying “Unfortunately google play store has stopped“. You can also try these steps to fix the “Google play store stopped” issue.
Restart your Android device
This is the most simple and the most effective way to solve this issue. For many users, this method becomes the first and the last way to fix this issue. So, this method is very effective for the “Google Play Services keeps stopping” error.
Press the power button of your device and hold it for some seconds, and then click on restart. Your device will restart in few seconds. If nothing is appearing after pressing and holding the power button, this means that something is wrong. Press and hold the power button for few more seconds to force restart your device.
Also, you can first turn off your device, wait for few seconds, and then start your device. Check whether the issue is solved or not, if no, read the article further.
Update the Google Play Services
One of the major reasons for this issue is the outdated version of the Google Play Store application. You have to regularly update the Google Play Services if you don’t want any errors. Older versions can cause some errors, compatibility issues, and many more. So, update the Google Play Services, and for that use the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Google Play store application, and click on your account profile photo situated on the top right corner.
- A dialog box will appear with a variety of options. Click on My apps & games.
- Now, in the Updates section, you will find all the apps that need updates. If you don’t want to do it manually, click on Update all, and wait for a while. This will update all the applications that require updates including the Google play services.
- After that restart your device, and check whether your “Google play services has stopped” issue is solved or not.
Clear Cache of the Google Play Services
A cache is the temporary data that any application stores to enhance the user’s experience. Clearing Cache is important as a lot of cached data can slow your device or cause some error. Follow the steps mentioned below to clear the cached data of the Google play services.
- Go to settings, and then click on Apps and Notifications.
- After that, search Google Play Services, and click on it.
- Then, click on the storage section. Here you can see the app size, user data, cache, and total data.
- Now, click on Clear Cache. This will clear all the cached data of the Google play services. You can also click on Clear Storage if the issue is not getting solved by clearing the cache.
Switch Google account
Sometimes due to some data loading errors, the “Google play services keeps stopping” issue keeps appearing. Also, sometimes “Google play services stopped” appears due to account problems. So, it is now important to switch your Google account to some other Google account. This method can be risky so don’t forget to backup all your data, just for safety. Follow the steps mentioned below to do this securely.
- Go to settings, and then click on User Accounts or Accounts.
- There you will find a list of all the accounts present on your device. Now, select the account you want to delete and click on remove.
- After that, click on add new account to add a new google account, and then switch to the new account.
Switch the Network Connection
Sometimes due to some network problems the “Unfortunately google play services has stopped” error flashes.
If your device is using a wireless WiFi connection, switch it to the cellular connection, and check whether the issue is solved or not. And, if your device is using a cellular connection, switch it to the Wifi connection, and check whether the issue is solved or not.
Still, if the “Google play services keep stopping” issue is not solving, try the other methods mentioned in this list.
Correct Date and Time
Surprisingly, sometimes due to the wrong date and time the “Google Play Services keeps Stopping” error occurs. So, to fix this error you have to set the correct date and time. Follow the steps given below to correctly apply this method.
- Open Settings on your android device.
- Now, search for the Date and Time. Or, go to System, and then click on Date & Time.
- Select Automatic date & time, and if this option is already selected try the manual options.
After setting the correct Date and Time, restart your smartphone and check whether the issue is fixed or not. You can check it by opening the Google Play Store application. If the “Unfortunately google play services has stopped” message no longer exists, then your issue is fixed. And, if it’s still flashing, there are some other methods that you can use to fix this error.
Disable Google Play Store
You can try this method to fix the “Google Play Services keeps stopping” error if any of the above methods are not working for your device. Disabling the Google Play Store will remove all the updates of the application. And, this method will reload the default version of the Google Play Store application.
You can also use this method if the “Google play store keeps stopping” error is flashing on your device. Given below are the steps you should follow to apply this method correctly.
- Go to Settings, and then go to All Apps.
- After that, search for Google Play Store, and click on it.
- Now, click on the disable option.
- Finally, restart your android device.
Reset Google Play Services
You should consider this as one of the last methods to fix the “Google play services keeps stopping” issue. This is because this method is very extreme and should be at the last number on your list.
If anything else is not working, then you can try to reset your Google Play Services application. But, you should try all the other methods mentioned above before trying this method. Follow the steps mentioned below to apply this method correctly.
- Go to the Settings of your device, and then go to the All Apps section.
- Now, search for Google Play Services, and click on it.
- After opening the settings section of Google Play Services, click on the triple dot menu situated in the top right corner.
- Now, click on Uninstall Updates.
After doing all the above-mentioned steps, your Google Play Services will be at default settings. Now, you have to again install all the updates of the Google Play Services. Repeat the steps mentioned above, and you will find the option to install all the updates.
Factory Reset your Device
You should try this method after applying all the methods mentioned above. This is the most extreme method you should apply to fix the “Google play services keeps stopping” issue.
Before applying this method you should take a backup of your device. Given below are the steps you should follow to factory reset your device correctly.
- Go to settings, and then go to System.
- Now, click on Reset options.
- After that, click on Factory data reset.
Applying the above-mentioned method will erase all the data of your device. So, backup is a must.
In this article, I have mentioned the 9 best methods to fix the Google Play Services keeps stopping error. You can also use some third-party apps to fix this error, but this is not highly recommendable.
The above-mentioned methods are verified methods to fix the “Unfortunately google play services has stopped” issue. If the google play services error is not getting resolved by applying the methods mentioned in this list, then there might be some serious compatibility issue. Or, there might be some other issue regarding the software of your device. I hope this article will help you to fix the “Google Play Services Keeps Stopping” issue.